Saturday, June 20, 2009

Utt(er)ly barmy


Authors routinely complain about boorish punters at book signings, but I don't think any of them tried the Uttley solution. The formidable children's author apparently didn't like the prospect of dealing with real children:
Dimly, she perceived an overwhelming mob running at her and with British pluck she unhesitatingly grabbed her duck-handled umbrella and waded into the attack, felling infants right and left. The kiddies paused, briefly regrouped, then broke up and ran off, screaming in terror. Uttley strode among them, lashing out freely.
I'm warming to her and her rabbits....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just read the review of her diaries in the Grauniad - lovely woman....I enjoyed her reference to 'The Blyton'. Wonder what she would make of 'The Rowling'.

Rob said...

I suspect she would revile the Rowling...