Saturday, July 15, 2006

Not amuth'd

EducationGuardian.co.uk | comment | We are not amuth'd
Here's a lovely piece by the always entertaining John Sutherland. It is distressing that so much unintelligible gibberish gets passed off as learned criticism these days. I always pass on to students the words of Nobel-winning scientist Peter Medawar:
"No-one who sincerely believes he has something important to say will willingly run the risk of being misunderstood."
If only they all followed that advice...

5 comments:

harriet said...

I've just found your blog, Rob, and have wasted nearly an hour this morning reading back through the archive. Great stuff -- I love it.
And good for John Sutherland! How I do agree with him.

harriet said...

and yes BTW I am your colleague

Rob said...

Thanks Harriet - I am currently finishing reading "George Devine's Daughter" and will post something on that soon.

Rob said...

...and, hey, what do you mean "wasted"?? :-)

harriet said...

Yeah -- of course it was a fascinating, educational, inspiring, uplifting hour, so much better than actually doing any work!

I'm a participant on another blog -- http://writersblogo6.blogspot.com -- set up by the young Indian playwrights whose workshop I was observing in the spring. They don't all contribute but it has been a great way to keep in touch with, and get to know better, those who do. There's been a big kerfuffle over there as the Indian govt blocked all blogs in the wake of the Mumbai bombings, though they are back online now. Some interesting links on all this on the blog.